Tuesday, January 28, 2020


Going back to reality

The alarm goes off at 3:30 and we’re downstairs well before my ride’s scheduled arrival time of five o’clock.  Sigh.  I’m so glad that Ammar came down to keep me company.  His flight isn’t for another eight or nine hours, so it was pointless for him to go the airport at this ghastly hour.  It sure is a lonely trip in the dark, in the back of that big van.



However, the actual airport experience is quite simple, and the Duty Free shops go on for miles!  It is interesting, though, that when I finally get to my gate, it is closed.  Each gate is enclosed by glass walls and there is no entry until the security and airline personnel are on the scene.  Those of us who are congenitally early wind up sitting on the floor awaiting entry.



There are three layers of passport/boarding pass control and then they check out carry ons and swab electronics and our bodies!  It’s all politely done and non-threatening, just a bit surprising.  I’m waiting now at my appointed spot with about half an hour until boarding.

Turkish Air flies to more countries than any other airline!  And their breakfast is pretty good! And their entertainment system is grand.  Lots of excellent choices.  I only have time for “The Philosophy of Phil” with Greg Kinnear.  There’s a character who is Greek and speaks broken English with an accent.  And he has a beard.  And is endearing.  I’ve had two little bottles of wine and react a little too strongly.  Breakfast, a movie, and we’re at Heathrow.


I didn't get a chance to watch this one;  but isn't it an interesting premise!

This is really interesting!

And an English-language newspaper

I'd have been lost without my new Jordanian bag!


London's outskirts


The airports are all starting to look alike;  but it’s wonderful to have English signs and everything is color coded.  The connecting flights signs are all bright purple and can be spotted from miles away!  I will admit that carrying this heavy bag, wearing my jacket, and toting my backpack is less than thrilling;  but c’est la vie!  Along the way to the gate there’s a photo of Edinburgh which you can use as a background for a selfie!  I start to tell the girls that I’m going to Scotland ahead of them!  Then think better of it!  They’d all know I don’t have to energy!



This is the long leg of the trip, about nine hours.  There is a ton of food and there are lots of movies to choose from! And the wine is free!  The windows have a “dimming” feature!  You keep pushing the button until you get the desired amount;  but it’s not instantaneous, so it’s easy to over-shoot if you don’t want it all the way dark.

Made it half way through this one

It's the chicken choice with pepper sauce, polenta, potato salad, roll, butter and a yummy cookie.

This is a very nice French blend, and the second bottle was even better!

Pretty cute;  Keanu is a cat that gets catnapped.  Classic Key and Peele

The funky dimming window!

It was dark, so I don't really know what this is, except it's sweet and tasty.

This one's really good.



Johnny Depp, Tim Burton, what more need I say?


The last of the "free" food!

Eventually we finally arrive in Toronto.  I’ve got two hours to get through US Customs and find my gate.  Bless my GOES card!  Look at all those poor people standing in that endless line! The toughest part is walking though yet another string of duty-free shops!

I have lots of time to settle into F67.  With about twenty minutes until boarding they move us to F65.  At least it’s right next door.  Then, with about ten minutes until boarding they move us back to F67!  Whatever!  I’m finally on the last flight!  There is no screen to watch and only one round of beverages;  but I’m almost home.

Tampa International is such a great airport!!  There’s my bag on the carousel and Betsy at my elbow!  I’m really home.  Betsy takes me to Ole’s and after checking in with him I retrieve my car and presto, the cats are there to greet me!  It’s hard to believe the past week even happened.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Monday, January 27, 2020

Saturday, January 25, 2020 - final update

Friday, January 24, 2020