Monday, January 27, 2020


Happy Birthday, Ammar!

It’s a really late morning and breakfast disappears over the horizon.  In fact, the girl at the desk calls to say she didn’t see us at breakfast, is there anything that we need!!  Thanks, anyway!



We go off exploring and eventually stop for Turkish coffee and treats.  Ammar has another dish of that delicious caramel covered pudding (?)  and I have pistachio baklava.  I thought I ordered one piece;  but, apparently, one serving is actually four pieces.  And once you start eating, you’re grateful!

Our tram stop









Back to the room for a little rest and then we go off in search of a new taste treat for dinner.  I find that I’ve gotten quite used to simply letting food appear in front of me!  There might be a question or two about my choices, but mostly the Arabic flows and suddenly there’s something delicious to eat!  Tonight we start with appetizers that I mostly can’t identify, although I get the grilled onions and tomatoes and some of the others.  Then there is bar-b-que - chicken and beef and, surprisingly, liver!  You take a piece of the thin, thin bread and use it to slide the meat off of the skewers and then wrap it around several pieces to carry them to your mouth.  I also find I have a kabob.  And everything is mouthwateringly good. I’m drinking bottled (always) water and Ammar’s yogurt has a tall, frothy head!  The end of dinner is marked by the arrival of Turkish tea.  


And there were tons more skewers!

The restaurant's name


Happy Birthday!

Thanks for the wine, Connie!
A few more stops and then it’s home to celebrate Ammar’s birthday.  I’ve bought a little piece of confectionary and I brought a candle so we can mark the occasion with the appropriate ceremony!  And I brought gift bags and tissue paper and cards, oh, and presents to go in the bags!  He is completely surprised!  It would be a perfect day, if it weren’t our last one.  There’s packing to do and checking in to the airlines, and the busy work keeps us from thinking too hard about tomorrow.

Comments

  1. Nice pictures of you guys! Happy Birthday to Ammar. How nice that you were able to spend it together. With all of that luscious food, I'm amazed you didn't come back a round ball. Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It was pretty special to be able to celebrate together; he was surprised!
      We ate well, when we ate! And there was a lot of exercise!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Saturday, January 25, 2020 - final update

Friday, January 24, 2020